Piccuta Law Group’s Most Memorable Moments of 2018
Now that 2018 has come to a close, the firm reflects on its Top Ten most memorable moments of the past year.
- Piccuta Law Group lead trial attorney, Charles Tony Piccuta, obtained a $1,925,000 unanimous jury verdict for a woman who severely injured her leg in a motorcycle crash. The case was hotly contested and fault was disputed. Trial lasted two weeks after which the jury awarded nearly 2 million dollars in pain and suffering damages.
- Charles Tony Piccuta negotiated a $550,000 settlement in an admiralty lawsuit against a deep-sea fishing charter boat business. The client was struck in the eye by a metal weight attached to another passenger’s fishing pole. The impact resulted in a loss of vision in the injured eye. The firm was able to file a lawsuit under federal admiralty jurisdiction to avoid California case law which held that no recovery was available because the client assumed the risk by partaking in a dangerous activity.
- Piccuta Law Group resolved a product liability case against a major auto manufacturer for $675,000. Working with co-counsel, a lawsuit was filed for the surviving children and parents of a woman who died as the result of a car accident. The settlement was obtained despite the fact that the woman proceeded into an intersection against a red light causing the crash. The claims advanced in the lawsuit alleged that the auto manufacturer had produced a defective vehicle by not equipping it with known and available safety features that would have saved the woman’s life.
- Piccuta Law Group settled an uninsured motorist claim for $215,000. The case involved a client who sustained a wrist injury requiring surgery with the installation of hardware. The firm was able to increase the settlement by providing evidence and opinions suggesting that the injury would be long-lasting and permanently affect the client.
- Piccuta Law Group settled a rear-end car accident case for the $150,000 available policy limits. The firm filed a lawsuit alleging that the client sustained serious and debilitating injuries after his vehicle was rear-ended on the freeway. The driver who struck the client claimed he was not at fault and that the client cut him off causing the collision. After depositions were taken in the case and discovery completed, the case settled for the maximum insurance available. The settlement was reached shortly before trial.
- Piccuta Law Group filed four new civil rights lawsuits under 42 U.S.C. § 1983. Each new lawsuit involves the excessive use of force by law enforcement. The cases were filed against law enforcement officers working for the City of Concord Police Department, City of Salinas Police Department, Monterey County Sherriff’s Office and Department of Veterans Affairs.
- Lead trial attorney, Charles Tony Piccuta, became a member of the American Association of Justice. The American Association of Justice is a membership only group for attorneys who exclusively represent Plaintiffs. The respected organization actively lobbies against legislative efforts to stop the rights of victims to sue large corporations and big businesses for their injuries.
- Charles Tony Piccuta was selected by Super Lawyers for the sixth year in a row. Less than 2.5% of all attorneys are recognized and selection is based upon a peer review process and other qualifying criteria.
- Piccuta Law Group settled a police excessive force case on behalf of a veteran who was wrongfully beaten by VA police. The firm advanced both FTCA and Bivens claims on behalf of the injured veteran. After the veteran was turned down by dozens of attorneys and firms, the Piccuta Law Group agreed to take on his case. The firm was able to obtain a favorable settlement on his behalf.
- Piccuta Law Group resolved a class action lawsuit against a fortune 500 company. The confidential settlement was obtained after the firm successfully defeated a motion to dismiss the case and prior to class certification. The class action lawsuit involved breach of contract claims on behalf of consumers similarly situated.
Monterey Car Accident Lawyers at PLG Obtain $250,000 Settlement for Client Involved in Low Impact Car Accident
March 17, 2021
February 16, 2021
Car Accident Attorneys at Piccuta Law Group Settle Car Crash Lawsuit for $100,000 Policy Limits After Rejecting Insurance Company’s Lowball Offer
January 14, 2021